Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spiral Ceiling on its Way

Hi friends,
This is the cover of my almost-ready book, a memoir about how I overcame bias and barriers to become an American DNA Scientist studying aging, all the while being married with children to love and care for. The book will be released this spring, and I'll announce it and tell you how you can find out more and order a copy if you wish. I've published a text book on genetics before, in fact I describe in Spiral Ceiling how I filled the time after my first husband died suddenly of a heart attack with writing the text book in the evenings after my son was in bed. But the release of this memoir is much more exciting to me, and I hope a lot of you will want to take a look at it and ask me questions about what happened in my life. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.
cheers,
Laura

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very exciting, Laura. There's a lot of similarity between having a child and having a book published. Really! Enjoy.

Lorelei said...

Thanks! I can't wait, but I have to because each step feels glacial. The printing and shipping and approval of the proof copy. Possibly revisions then. Then, the release of info to Amazon and to the suppliers for Barnes and Noble, etc, which takes about two months. So, it will be coming, I'm going to be breathless for a long time, though!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to let us know when and where we can get the book once it is widely available, Laura! I'll keep checking on this site.

Lorelei said...

Oh, yes, you can be sure I'll be bubbling over with joy on this site and giving you all the information you need to buy the book as soon as I can. Stay tuned!
best,
Laura

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience it must be to publish a book. Do you worry about the published one so much that you find it hard to write new material? I think I would probably do that.

Lorelei said...

I am having a little trouble concentrating on writing new work right now, but I must do it because I have 20 pp due in my MFA seminar a week from Thursday. Here's hoping I won't be too distracted!
cheers,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Just breathe in some strawberries and drink a big glass of water, walk around the block, sit down, and it will happen. Connect with your physical self. CJ